Last week we featured our “The Best” fireplace decor, rounding up some of our picks for best andirons and fire screens. Today, we’re breaking down the fireside chair because what’s a warm fire without a cozy chair to curl up in?
Before central heating and insulated windows, the wing chair was the classic fireside chair. Its tall back and cocoon-like sides and arms were perfect for keeping drafty, cold air at bay. While we may not have the same practical issues in mind when selecting a wing chair for homes today, the wing chair continues to feel at home placed near a raging fire. Below are a few of our favorite “fireside chairs,” including both wing chairs as well as other deep and cozy styles we love. Don’t have a fireplace? All of these chairs work well as that “single chair” in the mix of your other living room furniture.
(1) Ralph Lauren Home, Redmond Club Chair
(2) Hickory Chair, Suzanne Kasler, Josephine Wing Chair
(3) Hickory Chair, Alexa Hampton, Gabrielle Tufted Chair
(4) Bunny Williams Home, Charlie’s Chair
(5) Julian Chichester, Kelso Chair
(6) Amy Sommerville, Maven Chair
(7) Restoration Hardware, 19th C. English Wing Chair
(8) Brabbu, Taureg Chair
(9) Julian Chichester, Whitby Chair